Cardboard ephemera from the city streets and thruways of America. Some pieces were found, some given, some created by me. If you find one please pick it up and send it my way along with its story. I’ll gladly paypal the shipping costs. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to sort out the details.
1. My creation.
It can be seen in the following video:
2. My creation.
It can be seen in the following videos:
3. I believe I found this near a bus stop in Dinkytown, the college area of Minneapolis.
5. Bartered for lunch from a young man at the head of the Stone Arch Bridge in Minneapolis. On its side I wrote out the playlist of a mix CD I made for my sis. She was given the CD and sign. The sign was promptly regifted.
6. Found on the street near Lloyd Center Mall in Portland, OR. The sign’s flip side is the next photo.
7. The flip side.
8. Sign I found in downtown Olympia, WA. While holding it for the photo a lady asked if I had anywhere to sleep and offered me pizza.
9. Olympia, WA. In the day I’d see this guy bike around town with his dogs in the cart. The next photo is also him.
10. At night he came downtown to play and sing cool songs on his keyboard. He kept the keys perched atop a skateboard which I unfortunately didn’t photograph.
The video is garbage quality but you can hear a few seconds of his music here:
11. Discovered this sad and artistic piece in downtown Portland next to a trash bin. A couple blocks away a man was passed out with his own sign. He had a cig dangling from his mouth and a BB gun at his side.
12. Found buried beneath a bunch of wet trash on a bus bench in downtown Portland. I love this form of communication. Here’s to hoping the sign had already been seen as I’m an asshole and took it.
13. Found in a trash can outside Mary’s strip club in downtown Portland.
14. Found in downtown Portland. A large number of religious figures are living out the afterlife on scraps of cardboard.
15. I found five signs in one day. This was one of them.
16. Found in Portland.
17. Found in downtown Portland. The chunk missing from the bottom is where I used the sign to scrape my dog nephew’s defecate into a fry box. He unexpectedly dumped on the street and I had to improv things to scoop it up.
18. Found in Portland.
19. Found in downtown Portland.
20. Found in NW Portland.
21. Found in NW Portland.
22. Found in downtown Minneapolis.
23. I found this pile of cardboard scraps in downtown Portland.
These are the scraps reconstructed:
24. This is scrawled on the back of a Voodoo Doughnuts box.
25. I found this sign in downtown Portland and quickly stuffed it in my backpack as people were near. When I took it out an hour later I saw it was smeared in fresh human shit, hence the huge chunk now missing.
26. Found near the MAX tracks a block from the Burnside Bridge.
29. Pastry bag found outside a bookstore:
31. My life’s work:
32. Found near a homeless shelter in Austin